Open a Case

Information You Can Provide to Help Your Case

Before you go into the Department of Child Support Services, try to gather and bring as much of the following information as possible:

  • Full legal name, date of birth, address, and phone number of the non-custodial parent (NCP)
  • Current physical description or photograph of the NCP
  • Social Security number of the NCP (you can find this by reviewing old pay stubs, income tax returns, credit or loan applications, bank checking or savings accounts, insurance or health records, or military or union records; if you don't have one of these documents, but your name was also on the form, you can usually obtain a copy by writing to the appropriate agency)
  • Name and address of the current or most recent employer of the NCP
  • Child/children's birth certificate(s)
  • Names of friends and relatives and organizations to which the NCP might belong
  • Information pertaining to the NCP's income and other assets (pay slips, tax returns, bank accounts, cars, boats, R.V.s, investments or property holdings)
  • Your child support order, if you have one
  • Your marriage license or certificate, if you have one
  • Your divorce decree or separation agreement, if you have one
  • Any information regarding health insurance for the child/children

Non-Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) Cases

You can open a case with the Department of Child Support Services even if you are not currently receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) or Medi-Cal benefits. Open a non-TANF case with this office by applying for child support.

TANF Cases or Medi-Cal Cases

A child support case is opened when a custodial party applies for and receives TANF or Medi-Cal benefits. The county Department of Social Services will refer the applicant to the Department of Child Support Services for an interview.