Record Sealing

For most crimes, a juvenile's record can be sealed once the youth has successfully completed their probation period. At the time the Probation Officer believes the youth has been successful, they will ask the court to seal the records. The juvenile and the parent/guardian will be given notice of the sealing hearing. Both are encouraged to attend and provide the judge with any additional information about the juvenile's success. Once the Court signs the sealing order, the order is sent to any agency who had dealings with the youth while on probation directing the agency to seal their records.

If a juvenile was not successful completing their terms of probation, they may return after the age of 18 and ask the judge to seal the record. In order to do so, a Sealing Application (DOC) must be submitted to the Probation Department. A Probation Officer will conduct an interview of the person and submit a recommendation to the Court related to the sealing. A hearing will be set and the person will receive notice of the hearing which they are encouraged to attend.

There are some crimes that are not allowed to be sealed. These offenses are described in subdivision (b) of Section 707 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

For further information about the sealing process, see 781 to 786 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.